Visiting your primary care physician (PCP) is about more than just getting an annual checkup and (hopefully) a clean bill of health. It is an opportunity to address your specific healthcare concerns and to learn ways to maintain your overall well-being.
Communication between you and your doctor is vital, but you may not necessarily know or remember the questions you need to ask. Let’s talk about some key questions that are always pertinent during a checkup, and where you can go in North Bethesda for outstanding primary care to help you achieve a lifetime of good health.
What Should I Ask My Primary Care Doctor?
Here are some common patient queries your PCP will be happy to answer (feel free to print this out, or bookmark it in your browser, and bring it with you to your appointment):
- Which wellness tests do I need? Your PCP will work to help reduce your risk of developing health problems. That is why – depending on your age, your family medical history, and any prior tests and screenings – your PCP may recommend having certain types of tests. For example, both men and women at average risk of colon cancer are recommended to have a colonoscopy or other screening test to check for colon cancer starting at age 45. If you have anything of note in your family medical history, the doctor will advise you about how best to approach prevention or detection of these issues.
- In what way does my family history affect my health? Often, if you have a close family member (parent, sibling, child)with a chronic ailment, such as heart disease or diabetes, you are at a much greater risk of developing it as well. Your PCP can explain the proactive steps you can take to protect your health.
- How can I improve my diet? Your PCP can help you make healthier food choices. He or she can also ensure that you have the support you need to stick to your healthier diet.
- What is the most beneficial exercise for me? Your PCP can recommend the right type and amount of exercise that you can safely perform, especially if you have a specific health problem or are recovering from a recent injury or surgery.
- Am I at risk of developing heart disease? Your heart health is important to understand about yourself, since heart disease is the number-one potentially fatal disease among Americans. Many people with a heart problem don’t even know they are at risk until they suffer a heart attack. Let your PCP assess your risk, particularly if heart disease runs in your family.
- Can you explain my test results? Medical jargon can be confusing to the layperson. Don’t be afraid to ask your PCP to elaborate on the significance of your test results in simpler terms so that you fully understand your condition and course of treatment.
Primary Care Concierge Doctor in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) Area
At North Bethesda Primary Care in Montgomery County, Maryland, primary care physician Dr. Adam Possner always welcomes patients’ questions – because an informed patient is often a healthier patient. Dr. Possner is a board-certified internal medicine physician who delivers exceptional, personalized concierge medical care, and takes the time not only to answer your questions, but also to really get to know you.
To find out more about us, about how membership-based concierge medicine works, or to schedule a complimentary meeting with Dr. Possner, call us today at (301) 941-4414 or fill out the simple online contact form on any page of our website. We look forward to being your healthcare partner!