Are you happy with your primary care provider? Quality care is something everyone should come to expect, especially from their primary doctor. Having a primary care physician who has impeccable credentials, provides comprehensive medical service, and has a great bedside manner is a valuable asset. Having one who is personally available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week for urgent issues is even better.
Have you ever felt rushed during a doctor’s visit? You wait for hours and then get a few minutes of your doctor’s attention. Many primary care doctors provide medical care for up to 3,000 patients, so they can spend only 15-30 minutes per patient at a time. This can be very frustrating as a patient if you have more than one concern.
If you have perfect health or are in a hurry yourself, this might seem ok. However, having a primary care doctor who has taken the time to get to know you will be of great value if you ever develop a medical problem. In addition, things can still be missed in the rush of things, even with healthy individuals.
If you have even one chronic condition, your need for personalized care is even greater. It takes time to explain what you’re feeling, to tell your doctor about any recent changes, and review medications. It takes even more time for the doctor to explain a new diagnosis or any changes in testing or treatment. This isn’t going to happen in 15 minutes – not well, at least.
However, there is an alternative to this cookie-cutter approach to treating patients: concierge medicine. Let’s talk about what a concierge doctor provides and how this may be the ideal solution for your family’s healthcare.
A More Personalized Doctor-Patient Relationship
As its name implies, concierge medicine is a membership-based medical service. Your doctor provides 24/7 access to medical care, which includes direct contact, same-day appointments, and visits that last as long as it takes to address your needs. You and the doctor actually get to know each other.
Unlike an insurance-based primary care practice, a concierge primary care practice charges an annual membership fee that includes ample doctor’s visits whenever you need to see the physician. This allows the concierge doctor to limit his/her practice size and, thus, spend more quality time with you.
Consider the many benefits of having a concierge doctor:
- Round-the-Clock Access for Urgent Issues – A concierge doctor can provide timely care anytime via an office visit, over the phone/Zoom, or through a patient portal.
- More Time with Patients – By limiting the practice size, a concierge doctor can spend up to 2 hours with the patient for a physical and at least 30 minutes for an acute illness visit or a follow-up visit. That allows the concierge doctor to focus more meticulously on your health, to actually listen to what you have to say, and to answer any and all questions you may have. You will have the opportunity to truly contribute to a treatment plan that works for you.
- Competitive Pricing – For an annual fee, you can receive the kind of VIP treatment and security of having a physician who knows you, who wants to help keep you healthy, and – most importantly – is there for you if or when you get sick.
- Appointments at Your Convenience – Whether you are a busy professional who is short on time or an active person who needs to make appointments to fit your schedule, concierge medicine works with you. You can call and be seen either the same or next day, or (depending on the issue) your doctor may be able to address your problem remotely. This means that concerns will not have to wait, and you may not have to re-arrange your schedule for an in-person appointment.
- Preventive Care – As a primary care provider, a concierge doctor will take the time to conduct a thorough evaluation of your healthcare needs. Your medical history, family history, social history, and physical exam are all important factors in planning health promotion and disease prevention strategies that meet your individual needs. You’ll know when you need a vaccination, when it’s time for cancer screening, and what additional screenings you may need based on lifestyle or genetics. You’ll be advised on other ways to promote good health like how to maintain a good weight or how to keep your bones and joints healthy, just to name a few examples.
Your Personal Concierge Doctor in North Bethesda, Maryland
Dr. Adam Possner is a concierge doctor who specializes in internal medicine, providing high-quality primary care for individuals age 18 and up. He serves not only North Bethesda, Maryland, but also surrounding communities including Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase, DC, Potomac, North Potomac, and Gaithersburg.
Unlike many other concierge practices, which not only charge a yearly fee but also submit bills to insurance and therefore require co-pays, Dr. Possner doesn’t accept insurance – which means there are no co-pays or co-insurance fees for his services. Because he doesn’t bill insurance, you can feel free to submit your bills to your insurance company for possible out-of-network reimbursement.
If you want to proactively manage your health and achieve your wellness goals, contact Adam Possner, M.D., today. We offer a complimentary introductory meet-and-greet, at no cost or obligation, where you can meet Dr. Possner, share what you’re looking for in a primary care practice, and learn about Dr. Possner’s philosophy of care.
As a member of our concierge healthcare practice, you can be sure that when you need medical attention Dr. Possner will be just a phone call away. We look forward to seeing you here and welcoming you to our family.